Stuff on the interweb
Just been rummaging around the interweb and there are some interesting stuff out there (which is surprising since Janet Street-Porter said that the inteweb is clogged with blogs recently in the Independant. She can fuck off with her views, just because she is published she thinks she is above un-published news bloggers..)
Umm, so where was I, yep first there is a great clip of a spike into a bin that made me smile. This was from a game in the major league ultimate finals, which is some variation on ultimate with a quick set of rules and referees rather than observers. Keep a look out for this, it may take off, although the suggestion is that big clubs like Sockeye and DOG are not to interested in making it big.
There is also an interesting thread on Parinella's blog about junk throws. It is the suggestion that junk throws such as the lefty flik, push pass, thumber etc are useful but should be used like the sand wedge in golf. That is only when you are in the sand and need it. Use the push pass if it is the throw that fits, not to show off. Now I like the push pass, but I think Parinella is right and I should not use it to show off, or just for the hell. The deal is that experience does not give me the excuse to throw junk when I would tell a inexperienced player to think again before ever throwing such a throw ever again.
The thread then gets sidetracked into a conversation about left hand (off hand) backhands for the 5 yard dump. This is something I cannot do, but is it a worthy throw? As a club we do not use it, but should we think about it, it does have it's virtues. People love the touch they can put on the disc.
One more thought I have from training. During the games Matt (Skelator) was very eager to pick up the disc to have a quick start. In fact he had pretty much a one track mind, pick it up and look for Nick. I chose not to say that there was anything wrong with how he was playing, because in theory there is nothing wrong with Matt playing the quick start, and perhaps he will learn by mistakes when it is effective and when a ropy pass over Julia's head for example may be not the best choice. Now Matt has a more forceful character, but is practice a place where we should encourage others to learn the fast start and gain confidence in their own abilities to pull it off?
Enough. Laters.
Umm, so where was I, yep first there is a great clip of a spike into a bin that made me smile. This was from a game in the major league ultimate finals, which is some variation on ultimate with a quick set of rules and referees rather than observers. Keep a look out for this, it may take off, although the suggestion is that big clubs like Sockeye and DOG are not to interested in making it big.
There is also an interesting thread on Parinella's blog about junk throws. It is the suggestion that junk throws such as the lefty flik, push pass, thumber etc are useful but should be used like the sand wedge in golf. That is only when you are in the sand and need it. Use the push pass if it is the throw that fits, not to show off. Now I like the push pass, but I think Parinella is right and I should not use it to show off, or just for the hell. The deal is that experience does not give me the excuse to throw junk when I would tell a inexperienced player to think again before ever throwing such a throw ever again.
The thread then gets sidetracked into a conversation about left hand (off hand) backhands for the 5 yard dump. This is something I cannot do, but is it a worthy throw? As a club we do not use it, but should we think about it, it does have it's virtues. People love the touch they can put on the disc.
One more thought I have from training. During the games Matt (Skelator) was very eager to pick up the disc to have a quick start. In fact he had pretty much a one track mind, pick it up and look for Nick. I chose not to say that there was anything wrong with how he was playing, because in theory there is nothing wrong with Matt playing the quick start, and perhaps he will learn by mistakes when it is effective and when a ropy pass over Julia's head for example may be not the best choice. Now Matt has a more forceful character, but is practice a place where we should encourage others to learn the fast start and gain confidence in their own abilities to pull it off?
Enough. Laters.


2 Comments:
Completely agree on Janet Street Porter. In fact she pissed me off so much I'm gonna write a blog entry about that annoying woman...
Nevertheless a thought (and this is not for verbal sparring...)
I sometimes don't understand half the stuff you are talking about on ultimate, soooooooooo I suggest you start on explaining the game to lamers like me. Maybe then I get what a spike is supposed to be or why a quick start pick up (or whatever) is not always the best way to go... you complained the other day that people are too stuck in ultimate with their minds (not doing anything else anymore), so maybe you should make the game more accessible to everyone else by explaining its terms, moves and tactics. Surely even some other players could gain some understanding from you, oh great god of the frisbee... (ok, that last bit was verbal sparring...)
Good day mate,
Agorapho
I will attempt to explain the ultimate terms more clearly. Good point.
Post a Comment
<< Home