Monday, August 14, 2006

Dislocation

I dislocated my fucking shoulder at the end of the first game on Saturday. It was the first game off a weekend long tournament, and my first tourney in ages. I decided after one successful lay out (diving) defense, that I would blindly launch myself into another heroic effort in a meaningless game that we were likely to lose regardless. So whilst I was flying through the air with my right arm fully stretched the player from Bristol was thinking as he collided with me at full pace, "What the hell is this guy doing!". Then I tumbled with him, landed facing the opposite direction to which I took off and it did not feel good.

My right arm looked sort of ok, but a bit odd. In fact my shoulder was not quite as it should be, my upper arm bone was some where in front of my shoulder. The pain was not so bad to begin with, as Klaus picked me up and quickly realised it was a dislocation. As I stumbled off the pitch I could feel that it was going to hurt. After about 10 minutes of journeying with Loz and Adam (who was a local) I was in A&E, the pain was by now unbearable and one of the cute nurses asked me to scale it on a level 1 to 10. I said 9, this meant morphine for me! Wonderful stuff, combined with the laughing gas I was soon telling the doctor the rules of frisbee quite calmly. The the pain killers started to ware off, and a second doctor came and they started to explain the procedure of putting my arm back into where it should be. By now I was exhausted and just wished they would do it, she wanted me too keep talking while she drugged me up, I had had enough but explained the whole accident again and promptly passed out.

What an idiot I am. So now I have to recover from my dislocation for the next month, rather than practice with my team. I hope it only takes a month. Today I spent 3 hours trying to book a follow up appointment!

I can't run, cycle, throw, catch, drive or write. On a positive I can also not wash the dishes :)

I hope that in 3 weeks I can run and cycle again, watch this space...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home