World Ultimate Frisbee Championships 2006
So, I have been doing some thinking and have decided that my blogs will have an agenda, well a lose one. As mentioned in my profile, I play a small sport oddly called Ultimate Frisbee and have been playing for almost 7 years now. I play with my local team, Ltd Release (http://www.ltdrelease.co.uk/) and we qualified for the world championships being held in Perth Australia (http://www.wucc2006.org/). Assuming I get selected for the team, selection will be held within two weeks, I plan to keep a diary of the road to these championships. It will be a nice retrospective series of thoughts for me to look back on hopefully.
So as this is day one of my blog, let me say what I did. After being infuriated with the blogger web site, not their fault just my impatience, I finished up at work. I read about the phase diagrams of various silicate minerals looking at multi component systems, quite complicated stuff. Hopefully once I understand this stuff I will be able to integrate a thermodynamic model of the melting of the mantle with my convection model. I digress; this was supposed to be about ultimate. Anyways, I got home and as the sun was out went for a run around the common. It was a good run, came back exhausted. Not much more to say.
Hmm, so lets look back at the progress of my club. Set up when I arrived here, so three years ago, we have had great success playing mixed ultimate being semi finalists in the European championships last year. However with the loss of our captain (moved to Pasadena I think) and maybe a lack of direction over the winter we have struggled to recreate last years form: in the first tournament of our home season we came 15th out of 36 teams. Not what we expected. It will be interesting to see who is selected for this team in the next few weeks and if with this worlds team we can begin to make ground in the series. I am hopeful that there will be lots of young players in the squad, and it will be full of effort and excitement at the chance to play this wonderful game. I refuse to play with players who grump about losing rather than just trying harder, I mean it is not every day that you can run around out side as an adult, chasing a piece of plastic.
If I were captaining, my most important criterion would be effort: who tries there hardest. As a sport it is quite simple, once you have mastered throwing a disc, all you really have to do is run, jump and catch the disc. If you are incapable of any of those three then give up and go home. The point is no one is incapable of these simple three things if they give it their all. That is all I ask as a player, and that is (for now) all I wish for, for my team. Lets see how it goes…
So as this is day one of my blog, let me say what I did. After being infuriated with the blogger web site, not their fault just my impatience, I finished up at work. I read about the phase diagrams of various silicate minerals looking at multi component systems, quite complicated stuff. Hopefully once I understand this stuff I will be able to integrate a thermodynamic model of the melting of the mantle with my convection model. I digress; this was supposed to be about ultimate. Anyways, I got home and as the sun was out went for a run around the common. It was a good run, came back exhausted. Not much more to say.
Hmm, so lets look back at the progress of my club. Set up when I arrived here, so three years ago, we have had great success playing mixed ultimate being semi finalists in the European championships last year. However with the loss of our captain (moved to Pasadena I think) and maybe a lack of direction over the winter we have struggled to recreate last years form: in the first tournament of our home season we came 15th out of 36 teams. Not what we expected. It will be interesting to see who is selected for this team in the next few weeks and if with this worlds team we can begin to make ground in the series. I am hopeful that there will be lots of young players in the squad, and it will be full of effort and excitement at the chance to play this wonderful game. I refuse to play with players who grump about losing rather than just trying harder, I mean it is not every day that you can run around out side as an adult, chasing a piece of plastic.
If I were captaining, my most important criterion would be effort: who tries there hardest. As a sport it is quite simple, once you have mastered throwing a disc, all you really have to do is run, jump and catch the disc. If you are incapable of any of those three then give up and go home. The point is no one is incapable of these simple three things if they give it their all. That is all I ask as a player, and that is (for now) all I wish for, for my team. Lets see how it goes…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home