Playing in the rain in London
So last weekend we drove through the poaring rain to play in south east London. On slightly short pitches, we struggled up the fields fighting the wind to try and win games, with mixed results…
Game 1: Us vs. Electric Mayhem 1
Electric Mayhem are a team from London that train on Clapham common I think. Good team, but wear too many tights. Ultimate frisbee is an odd sport in that most men it appears are turning into a bunch of pansies. Many years ago some guy called John invented long Johns. Then a few years a go some soft bloke who suffered from weak legs that could not take the cold English air decided to play in his long Johns, with his shorts over the top. Obviously this highly fashionable look caught on, and now it seams so popular that even in mid spring players still play in tights.
Needless to say, these tight wearing pansies beat us. Oh well.
Game 2: Us vs. Brighton 1
I think Tom was wearing tights too, but don’t remember. I like this team, but was annoyed that they beat us. I got especially annoyed at myself for forgetting to bother to stall my man, and so he quite easily scored the vital upwind penultimate score. Klaus layed out (dived) onto his head too during this game, it was quite funny. His back is not so good right now though.
Game 3: Us vs. High Altitude
Lost again. We were quite miserable now, not really looking like a worlds squad. We have a lot to think about. My analysis is that there are two main problems. We are incapable of dumping and swinging the disc without turning over. Second, we fail to acknowledge this fact, and so fling the disc down field and play defence. Ultimate is not a complicated game. Throwing the disc in the wind is hard, and I would rather the opposition have to work all the way up the field to score than we turn over at our own end zone and give an easy score.
The rest
I am bored of writing up the tournament in fact. On the second day we won all our games and finished the weekend 13th out of 32. Not bad, but we need to do better. The trouble is I do not know what we do wrong. There are some tactical things that I disagree with, but these do not mean we should lose games. When we were beaten it felt like there was nothing the team or I could do stop the inevitable, yet on the Sunday we just won games and it was easy. Perhaps the teams we played on the second day were much easier, but I am not so sure. One thing is for sure, we were much happier on the second day. Maybe it is self-belief that will make the difference.
Oh, just to add, I busted my thumb getting a block, and it is still blue. Maybe I broke something…
Game 1: Us vs. Electric Mayhem 1
Electric Mayhem are a team from London that train on Clapham common I think. Good team, but wear too many tights. Ultimate frisbee is an odd sport in that most men it appears are turning into a bunch of pansies. Many years ago some guy called John invented long Johns. Then a few years a go some soft bloke who suffered from weak legs that could not take the cold English air decided to play in his long Johns, with his shorts over the top. Obviously this highly fashionable look caught on, and now it seams so popular that even in mid spring players still play in tights.
Needless to say, these tight wearing pansies beat us. Oh well.
Game 2: Us vs. Brighton 1
I think Tom was wearing tights too, but don’t remember. I like this team, but was annoyed that they beat us. I got especially annoyed at myself for forgetting to bother to stall my man, and so he quite easily scored the vital upwind penultimate score. Klaus layed out (dived) onto his head too during this game, it was quite funny. His back is not so good right now though.
Game 3: Us vs. High Altitude
Lost again. We were quite miserable now, not really looking like a worlds squad. We have a lot to think about. My analysis is that there are two main problems. We are incapable of dumping and swinging the disc without turning over. Second, we fail to acknowledge this fact, and so fling the disc down field and play defence. Ultimate is not a complicated game. Throwing the disc in the wind is hard, and I would rather the opposition have to work all the way up the field to score than we turn over at our own end zone and give an easy score.
The rest
I am bored of writing up the tournament in fact. On the second day we won all our games and finished the weekend 13th out of 32. Not bad, but we need to do better. The trouble is I do not know what we do wrong. There are some tactical things that I disagree with, but these do not mean we should lose games. When we were beaten it felt like there was nothing the team or I could do stop the inevitable, yet on the Sunday we just won games and it was easy. Perhaps the teams we played on the second day were much easier, but I am not so sure. One thing is for sure, we were much happier on the second day. Maybe it is self-belief that will make the difference.
Oh, just to add, I busted my thumb getting a block, and it is still blue. Maybe I broke something…

1 Comments:
In a strong wind there is nothing wrong with playing huck and D. Maybe a straight up force too to get in their heads. Perhaps the team could consider throwing the huck rather than the risky up wind short dump that may catchthe wind and rise up in the air making it a fifty fifty disc close to our own endzone.
Post a Comment
<< Home